As we get older our face can go through many changes; wrinkles, the loss of skin elasticity and unwanted fat settling under the chin, giving us a double chin or undefined jaw line. Excess fat under the chin is very ageing, it can make our face look a lot older than it really is, and can leave us feeling very self-conscious.
Double chins don’t always mean we’re overweight, and those with a slender body shape can get one just like anyone else. Sometimes it can happen because of the lack of muscle tone, but in most cases the reason is weight gain.
There are several reasons why we form a double chin:
- Ageing – we start to lose muscle tone and elasticity in the skin as we age, causing the chin to become slack.
- Bad eating habits – food that’s high calories, processed foods and unhealthful fats can influence weight gain which can settle beneath the chin.
- Lack of exercise – we can develop a double chin by not doing any exercise.
- Posture – the neck muscles become weak through bad posture. Looking downwards at your phone or computer for prolonged periods can cause a double chin to develop over time, as muscles that aren’t used can become slack and cause the surrounding skin to lose its elasticity.
- Genetics – we can inherit the potential for a double chin.
When we want to lose weight, we can’t spot reduce only the chin. We’ll need to lose weight everywhere to try to lose the double chin, but there’s always the chance that it will stay. When we aren’t as active as we could be, we tend to slowly put on weight and this weight can settle under the chin, and any excess weight on the face can change the contour, altering the profile.
There are safe procedures to take away the fat under the chin which can remove several grams of fat and dramatically change the face. Vaser Lipo is a minimally invasive treatment that can get rid of the fat, refine your jaw line and improve your side profile. Vaser liposuction has major advantages over traditional facial liposuction, as the ultrasound energy only targets the fat layer, meaning other structures such as blood vessels are not damaged by the ultrasound energy, resulting in far less bruising and swelling.
A double chin can distract from even the most attractive face. A well contoured chin can define the shape of your face and give you a great profile.